1st Lieutenant of Drill team Mia Provo Signs to Stephan F. Austin University

On February 1st, national signing day took place in the main gym where seven athletes signed to continue their athletic careers in college. One of these athletes is first year lieutenant Mia Provo, who signed to continue her dance career at Stephan F. Austin University.

Provo started her dance career much later than most girls, when she tried out for the Junior High team in seventh grade. This didn’t stop Provo from making her way to the top, by the time she was a sophomore she was on the Elite drill team.

“I started dancing in 7th grade and have pushed myself to get better and better ever since” Provo said.

She didn’t stop at the elite team, she wanted more. By her junior year she had the title of Major and nonetheless by her senior year was the 1st lieutenant.

“All of these achievements came from perseverance and dedication,” Provo said, “because it’s so hard to keep striving for a goal, but if you really want it the work is always worth it.”

Provo had her eye set on SFA from a young age. She would attend workshops and showcases at the school and easily decided she would want to be on their dance team when the time came. Provo later fell in love with the school as a whole and what the school was about.

“I chose SFA because it had been my dream school since my freshman year of high school,” Provo said, “and I have wanted to be on their dance team since I was 14.”

Not only will she focus on dance but also academics where she will major in education and minor and dance, where she can someday become a dance teacher.

“I want to become a teacher and dance director! I would like to choreograph for teams and studios around the state” Provo said.

As Provo spends her last few months as a high school student, she can’t wait to begin as a signed dancer for the Stephan F. Austin Dance team!

“I am beyond excited for next year,” Provo said. “I cannot wait to see where the SFA dance team takes me.”